Friday, July 4, 2008

Cynicism & Jack and the Beanstalk

We are all cynics.

You walk into a car dealership.
I try out a new church.
My wife considers a new hand lotion (with cucumber and yogurt extracts).

We have our doubts. "I don't believe you. I don't trust your promises!" we shout from behind the emotional walls we have built to defend us from the organizational wolves ready to prey on our:
  • time
  • energy
  • money
  • optimism
  • faith
  • etc.
The car dealership, new church, and hand lotion beg us to trust them at their word - "We will keep our promises" they assure us.

But we have all been burned before. We have traded the cow for the magic beans one too many times.
  • The hovercraft you ordered from the back of the comic book does not really fly
  • The vision statement on the wall at work is not followed in the day-to-day
  • The people you trusted fell from their pedestal
  • Put your hand on the screen and you will be healed (after you send $19.95 to the address below)

Pain has metastasized into cynicism. But wait...

...Most of us do not stay cynical toward all people, toward all organizations. I got married, for goodness sake. I trust the vision my wife cast. I currently trust the vision my employer casts. I did let my walls down for them. Overcoming my cynicism is possible. So the question really is:

HOW DO WE OVERCOME THE CYNICISM?

One of the key topics of this blog will be to explore how does one overcome this cynicism that is ubiquitous in:
  1. Large Companies
  2. Start-up Companies
  3. Government Agencies (FEMA anyone)
  4. NGO's like the Red Cross and the Boy Scouts
  5. Churches
  6. And even personal relationships
We have much to talk about.

No comments: